Thursday, May 7, 2009

Transportation


With $11 and change in our budget outside of Food Stamps, we cannot afford our car insurance or the gas to get around. So we are relying more on bikes, buses and our feet. Though I do drive on occasion, a bicycle is my main method of transportation. The times when I do drive are usually during time crunches or really long distances, such as the one that happened on Monday. I had a soccer game that was a 50 minute bike ride away. Before I even started playing I was tired. (Maybe that's why we lost.)

My wife is a bit more dependent upon the car. She has meetings and teaches classes at various locations which a car makes infinitely more convenient (and she is lazy). She has been jumping on the bus or her bike to reach these locations. Fortunately for her, she receives a free bus pass from work, or she would not be able to afford the bus/Trax system at all with our current budget.

The fact is that we are fortunate enough to have reliable bicycles, free bus passes and easy access to public transportation. If not, living in poverty would be that much more restrictive on our mobility. Like many aspects of this project, change in our travel habits has taken more organizational and practical time.

Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment